Sunday, May 11, 2008

Lab Project: Species

Lab Project
This lab I will show picture of 20 or more species I interact with on a daily basis. Each will have their picture, scientific name, ecological principle and a explanation of my interaction with them and their interaction with other species.

1. Common Name: Pug
Scientific name: (canis Lupus Familiaris)
Ecological principles: Symbolic
I choose my Pug (homer). He is one of the first animals I see every morning. I follows me around till I feed him and he is small but very protective of me. A pug is a domestic dog, a good pet.


2. Common Name: Chihuahua
Scientific Name: (Canis lupus Familiaris)
Ecological Principles: Symbolic
My other dog, Babygirl. Shes a playful one and likes to hop around when she see anyone. A Chihuahua is a domestic dog.

3. Common Name: Cats
Scientific Name: (Felis silvestris)
Ecological Principles: Symbolic
My cats, a domestic animal (I have three) I had them since they were babies now they are adults and very lazy now but still like to cuddly and play

4. Common Name: Hummingbirds
Scientific Name: (Family Trochilidae)
Ecological Principles: Commerical
I have bird feeds outside so I hear the humming birds a lot in the morning.


5. Common Name: Pigeon-
Scientific Name: (Columba livia)
Ecological Principles: Symbolic
I found this bird injured and now it can’t fly. Instead of leaving for other animals to eat I took it in and feed it. So its my bird. He/she is still scared of me but I still feed it and it slowly getting use to seeing me.


6. Common Name: tumbleweed
Scientific Name: (salsola tragus)
Ecological Principles: commensal
I see tumbleweeds everywhere I go, especially when it’s windy and they blow around. They grow anywhere they please and don’t need a lot of water to grow but die quick from the sun’s heat.


7. Common Name: Yucca-
Scientific Name: ( Yucca baccata)
Ecological Principles: commensal
I see these plants when I go running. I know some people use these plants to make baskets. But Yucca plants are parasitic, don’t need to much rain to grow flowers and can get very tall. These kind of plants are common in Arizona.



8. Common Name: Horse-
Scientific name: Equus caballus
Ecological Principles: Symbolic
My dad’s horse, Tex. This horse is older than I am!! I found horses to be symbolic because its like having a friend and horses can be loyal by not running away or bunking their owner off of them. A horse is an domestic animal.


9. Common Name: Lizard-
Scientific Name: (Urosaurus ornatus)
Ecological Principle: Commensal
My dogs and cats find these lizard around my yard and I find them in my plants. They don’t bother me and I don’t bother them because they usually run away very quick anyways. Lizards are common in the desert especially Arizona.

10. Common Name: Ants-
Scientific Name: (Paratrechina longicornis)
Ecological Principle: Parasitic
When I see outside at times I get bite by one of these and they HURT.

11. Common Name: Juniper tree-
Scientific Name: (Juniperus)
Ecological Principle: Mutualism
I see these trees often around my area. I see them benefiting us in the future for wood, to keep our environment growing, oxygen, and well shade when were hiking. They benefit when they grow tall and stronger.

12. Common Name: Housefly
Scientific name: (Musca Domestica)
Ecological Principle: Commensal
I think only flies’s benefit for themselves. For human and pets, well they are annoying because they fly around our food/drinks and at times around our faces!!


13. Common Name: House plants (roses)-
Scientific name: (Rosa roxburghii)
Ecological Principles: Mutualism
I think people and the plant both benefit from each other. The owners of the plants like having plants around their house and the owners water the plants to make it grow bigger. The plants benefit because humans because the humans water them to keep them alive.

14. Common Name: Cotton-
Scientific name: (Gossypium)
Ecological Principle: Parasitic
People are the only who cut down the cotton plants to makes clothes or other products that humans use. So the people cause harm to the cotton plant.

15. Common Name: Milk-
Scientific Name: (Bos Taurus)
Ecological Principle: Mutualism
Many people drink milk to help with our bones and to grow. The cows we get them from live and the human takes care of them to keep getting milk, so both benefit from each other.

16. Common Name: Corn
Scientific Name: (Zea mays)
Ecological Principle: Mutualism
Both people and the plant benefit from each other. The people eat the corn but the people also help the corn stay alive to keep growing.

17. Common Name: Goldfish-
Scientific Name: (carassius auratus)
Ecological Principle: Symbolic
Both the goldfish and the owner benefit from each other. Many goldfish owners take care of their fish and love it and treat it like a pet. The goldfish like their owners because it’s the owner who feeds them when they get hungry.

18. Common Name: Ticks-
Scientific Name: (Dermacentor variables)
Ecological Principle: Predation
We kill it if it does us harm or our pets. When a dog or cat has to many ticks they can get an infection from them and cause death. It can even bite humans but once we feel it we located it and kills it. They can hold a lot of blood in their tiny bodies and expand but if no blood is around they eventually starve to death.


19. Common Name: Fleas-
Scientific name: (Ctenocephalides cannis)
Ecological Principle: Predation
These little fleas are on animals and cat, usually dogs. They can bite the dogs and the dogs can try to kill them also but chewing around the area that’s bothering them at. The fleas bite the animals for food and survival.

20. Common Name: Rabbit-
Scientific name: (sylvilagus)
Ecological Principle: Commensal
The rabbit usually don’t harm anyone but look for food for survival. Its usually other animals that eat them. Aren’t they cute to look at?

21. Common Name: Crow-
Scientific Name: (corvus brachyrhynchos)
Ecological Principle: Parasitic
The crows eat smaller animals and even creature that are already dead. They feed on them and can kill for food, for their survival.

No comments: