Monday, March 24, 2008

Unit Two Lab Project

Unit Two Lab Project: Exercise Physiology
My lab is about measuring basic body metabolic parameters with pulse, respiration rate and blood pressure. Doing three different activities to test each measurements we will see the differences in each results, will it go higher or lower? Each activity will be compared to my “baseline” results and see if it’s the same or a lot higher.
To see test my pulse I will be using the carotid arteries (located on your neck) to get my results. To test my respiration rate I will be counting my breathing for 30 seconds and multiplying it by 2. To test my blood pressure I will be using a blood pressure device.
My first measurements is my baseline or “at rest”. I will be relaxed for 10-15 minutes and then take my results. First activity will be some exercise, second activity will be drinking Redbull, and my third activity will be eating subway.
After doing each activity and writing each body measurement I propose each activity will make my blood pressure, pulse, and respiration rate a lot higher than my “baseline”.
My first activity, exercising, I will do jump jacks for a minute. I propose that my pulse, blood pressure and respiration rate to increase A LOT because I’m not fit. My second activity, drinking a Red bull (energy drink) will raise my blood pressure not my pulse or respiration rate. My third activity, eating, I propose my blood pressure, pulse and respiration rate to be the same as my “baseline”.

















The first picture is me taking my pulse. Second picture is me taking my blood pressure.








Me doing Jumping Jacks.

Doing jumping jacks for a minute raised my pulse by 34.6 per beat/minute. My respiration rate raised by 14. My blood pressure did go up by 19/6. By doing jump jacks my pulse, resp. rate and blood pressure increased. It was good exercise for me since usually don’t do jump jacks and I even forgot how to do jumping jacks!



My favorite drink, Redbull

My next activity was drinking my favorite drink, Redbull. Since Redbull is an energy drink, I would think it was raise something in me. My pulse rate went up by 10.6, my resp. rate went up by .8, and my blood pressure went up by 10.2/2.8.
Doing some research I found that energy does raise your blood pressure.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21654188/








My last activity was eating subway. My pulse rate went up by 10.2, resp. rate went up by 1.2, and my blood pressure went up by 18.6/5.4.




Me eating Subway

My hypothesis with my first activity was correct. By doing jumping jacks for a minute did increase my pulse, resp. rate and blood pressure increased. Each measurement did increase by a lot! After doing jump jacks and being unfit I knew my pulse rate was going to be high since I was out of breath!
My second activity showed that my hypothesis was wrong. It raised not only my blood pressure but my pulse rate also. Redbull being an energy drink it gave me energy!! It got me moving around the house and doing stuff.
My last activity was eating subway. My hypothesis was wrong and right. It showed that my pulse went up (maybe from eating and moving around?) and my blood pressure went up also. BUT my resp. rate stayed the same, only going up by 1.2.
Conclusion:
I found this lab to extremely helpful to my own health and I learned a lot about my body and how it works. My systolic and diastolic pressure stayed normal. I was scared to do this lab because I have a family history of high blood pressure and I wasn’t. I know as I get older I need to take better care of myself since blood pressure goes higher with age.




No comments: