Monday, February 18, 2008

Self Evaluation

Self Evaluation


1. What were the three aspects of the assignments I've submitted that I am most proud of?
I am most proud of my work on my compendium review because I found by doing the reviews I was understand the chapters and terms by writing or typing it out. It was a lot of reading but I managed.

2. What two aspects of my submitted assignments do I believe could have used some improvement?

my ethical essay could use my time on and my DNA for my lab. when I first read the lab I though I could manage doing it but once I started it took me awhile to figure out what I was doing and how I wanted it to be done.

3. What do I believe my overall grade should be for this unit?

I put a lot of time and focus on this unit and it was a BIG unit. I did all the work, all the reading and time to do the labs. But I got my book two weeks late and I had to rush myself to do the assignments. My Overall grade I would give myself would be a B+.

4. How could I perform better in the next unit?

For me it would be my time management. I would read the chapters and understand it more and will make more of an effort on my essay.

5. At what moment during this unit did you feel most engaged with the course?

The cell model and the genetics.

6. At what moment unit did you feel most distanced from the course?
I would have to say the DNA part. Though I know it's important to know about I just could not get into the reading to much.

7.What action that anyone (teacher or student) took during this unit that find most affirming and helpful?

I would say the teacher's human biology website. I found everything I needed on his site to complete my assignments.

8. What action that anyone (teacher or student) took during this unit did you find most puzzling or confusing?

None.

9. What about this unit surprised you the most? (This could be something about your own reactions to the course, something that someone did, or anything else that occurs to you.)

That I got really interested in the cell and cancer chapters. at first I thought the cell was a boring topic but doing the "make your own cell" and reading the chapter really help me understand the cell and its purpose.

1 comment:

Larry Frolich said...

Tacy John
SELF/UNIT EVAL.
Thanks for this thoughtful self-reflection and feedback on the unit. Yes, cancer is fascinating, especially once you understand the beauty of cells and how they work.

COMPENDIUM REVIEW 1: CELLS
Just like your genetics review… in fact, this one has a bit more detail on each topic.



COMPENDIUM REVIEW 2: GENETICS
Exemplary Really nice concise, but complete review. Great images..be sure you tell me the source..the URL or where you got it from. You have it nicely organized, nice concise outlines…you might think about adding a bit more detail for each topic.


MICROSCOPE LAB
Also, like the genetics lab, basically perfect. Way to go!


DRAGON GENETICS
This lab is perfect (well, almost except one dragon is shooting flames—needed one more gene change?). But nice explanations and you define all the vocabulary. Great job.



BUILD A CELL
Your model is beautiful—the pictures somehow seem like a professionally made film-maker’s model or something. And of course you have all the pieces, well-explained and I love your beaded DNA. The only other thing the instructions ask for is a similar close-up on protein synthesis, but not a big deal…Great job.


ETHICAL ISSUE ESSAY: GENETIC ENGINEERING
Your essay does a nice job of covering the basics on cloning. You seem to find human cloning not so great, but other kinds of cloning as offering great hope. Maybe a good way to see things.


Tacy, fantastic job on this unit, which I know is a tremendous amount of work. You got all the assignments done and very complete and beautiful to look at. I really liked your cell model and the labs are great. The whole things is very well-done. I can just say keep up the good work—I think you’ll find the next unit with a bit less new material.

Please don’t forget to do your peer color group feedback on their ethical issues essays—you’ll probably find it interesting to see some other blogs also. And get started on Unit II if you haven’t already. Let me know if you have any questions or concerns about this feedback or your grades which can be seen on the YC Blackboard site.

LF